Ph.D., Agronomy, Specialization in Plant Breeding and Genetics
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, May 2017
- Advisor: Dr. Stephen Baenziger
- Dissertation: “Development of High-Density Linkage Map and QTL Mapping For Agronomic Traits in Bread Wheat Evaluated Across Multiple Rainfed Environments”
M.S., Plant Breeding and Genetics
SKUAST-K, Srinagar, India, December 2011
- Advisor: Dr. Gulzar Singh Sanghera
- Dissertation: “ Genetic Studies on Heterosis and Combining Ability for Hybrid Rice (Oryza sativa) Development Under Temperate Conditions”
SKUAST-K, Srinagar, India, June 2009
Postdoctoral Research Associate
March 2018 to Current
Department of Agronomy and Horticulture, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- Supervisors: Gota Morota and Harkamal Walia
- Quantitative genetic analysis of longitudinal high-throughput image data of night temperature stress in wheat and rice.
- Perform genome-wide analysis and genomic predictions of high-throughput image data combined with high dimensional genomic, transcriptomic and metabolomics data.
- Modeling variance-heterogeneity in genome-wide association studies using novel statistical tools.
- Develop R-packages and Shiny applications.
Research Associate Scientist-II (Wheat Breeder)
May 2017 to December 2017
Maharashtra Hybrid Seed Company (MAHYCO), Aurangabad, Jalna, India
- The goal was to develop wheat lines and hybrids using advanced statistical and genomics tools
Ph.D (ICAR International Fellow and Graduate Research Assistantship)
January 2014 to April 2017
- Focused on the development and evaluation of RIL mapping population related to drought tolerance.
- Development of high-density linkage map based on SNPs derived from genotyping-by-sequencing.
- Genome-wide QTL mapping for various agro-physiological traits phenotyped across a wide range of environments.
- High-throughput phenotyping in wheat and soybean using newly developed phenotyping platforms.
- Genome selection/predictions in Nebraska wheat breeding program.
- Gained proficiency in statistical analysis and programming including Unix operating system, perl language, GBS data analysis, and statistical analysis using R and SAS software.
- Conducted extensive field trials, crossing, phenoyping and data collections across multiple environments for the four years.
- Analyzed multi-environment phenotypic data in ASReml package in R and incorporating spatial corrections using mixed linear models and generate variance components.
- BLUP/BLUE estimates for genomic selections and QTL mapping.
- Molecular mapping of Tan spot resistance in wheat.
Research Fellow (INSPIRE Fellowship)
December 2011 to December 2013
Agricultural University, CSKHPKV, Palampur India
- Diversity analysis in oats, screening and molecular mapping of powdery mildew resistance in oats.
- Double haploid breeding in wheat using Imperata cylindrica grass.
Graduate Research Assistant (M.S.)
June 2009 to December 2011
- Identification of potential restorers for newly developed temperate CMS lines and identify the heterotic combinations.
Hussain, W., Walia, H., Jarquin, D., and Morota, G. 2019. Variance-heterogeneity genome-wide mapping for cadmium in wheat (Triticum Aestivum L.) revealed novel genomic regions and candidate genes. Target Journal: BMC Plant Biology.
Hussain, W., Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., Poland, J and Baenziger, P.S. 2019. Genotyping-by-sequencing derived high-density linkage map reveled novel genomic loci and candidate genes for plant height in wheat (Triticum Aestivum L.) Target Journal: The Plant Journal.
Kariyawasam, G. K., Hussain, W., Easterly, A., Guttieri, M., Belamkar, V., Poland, J., et al. 2018. Identification of quantitative trait loci conferring resistance to tan spot in a biparental population derived from two Nebraska hard red winter wheat cultivars. Mol Breeding. 38.
Hussain, W., Campbell, M., Walia, H., and Morota, G. 2018. ShinyAIM: Shiny-based application of interactive Manhattan plots for longitudinal genome-wide association studies. Plant Direct. 2:e00091.
Sallam, A., Mourad, A. M. I., Hussain, W., and Stephen Baenziger, P. 2018. Genetic variation in drought tolerance at seedling stage and grain yield in low rainfall environments in wheat. Euphytica. 214:169.
Hussain, W., Guttieri, M. J., Belamkar, V., Poland, J., Sallam, A., and Baenziger, P. S. 2018. Registration of a bread wheat recombinant inbred line mapping population derived from a cross between ‘Harry’ and ‘Wesley.’ Journal of Plant Registrations. 12:411–414.
Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M. J., Hussain, W., Jarquín, D., El-basyoni, I., Poland, J., et al. 2018. Genomic Selection in Preliminary Yield Trials in a Winter Wheat Breeding Program. G3: Genes|Genomes|Genetics. 8:2735–2747.
S. Jamwal, N., K. Chaudhary, H., Badiyal, A., Hussain, W., Katoch, P., and Kumar, N. 2018. Success in inducing effective rooting in triticale x wheat and wheat x wheat derived haploid plantlets in cocopeat mixture. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 7:15–23.
Hussain, W., Baenziger, P. S., Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M. J., Venegas, J. P., Easterly, A., et al. 2017. Genotyping-by-sequencing derived high-density linkage map and its application to QTL mapping of flag leaf traits in bread wheat. Scientific Reports. 7:16394.
Bai, G., Ge, Y., Hussain, W., Baenziger, P. S., and Graef, G. 2016. A multi-sensor system for high throughput field phenotyping in soybean and wheat breeding. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 128:181–192.
Badiyal, A., Chaudhary, H. K., Jamwal, N. S., Bhatt, A. K., and Hussain, W. 2016. Comparative assessment of different auxin analogues on haploid induction in triticale x wheat derived backcross Generations. Agricultural Research Journal. 53:157.
Jamwal, N. S., Chaudhary, H. K., Badiyal, A., and Hussain, W. 2016. Factors influencing crossability among triticale and wheat and its subsequent effect along with hybrid necrosis on haploid induction. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B — Soil & Plant Science. 66:282–289.
Sood, V. K., Rana, I., Hussain, W., and Chaudhary, H. K. 2016. Genetic Diversity of Genus Avena from North Western-Himalayas Using Molecular Markers. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci. 86:151–158.
Chaudhary, L., Sood, V.K., and Hussain, W.2015. Genetic analysis for grain and forage yield and its component traits in genus Avena under North western Himalayas. Range Management and Agroforestry. 35:2.
Badiyal, A., Chaudhary, H. k., Jamwal, N. s., Hussain, W., Mahato, A., and Bhatt, A. k. 2014. Interactive genotypic influence of triticale and wheat on their crossability and haploid induction under varied agroclimatic regimes. Cereal Research Communications. 42:700–709.
Sanghera, G. S., and Hussain, W. 2012. Heterosis and combining ability estimates using Line x Tester analysis to develop rice hybrids for temperate conditions. Notulae Scientia Biologicae. 4:131–142.
Hussain, W., and Sanghera, G. S. 2012. Exploitation of heterosis in rice using CMS system under temperate conditions. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding. 3(1):695-700.
Sanghera, G. S., Wani, S. H., Hussain, W., Shafi, W., and Haribhushan, A. 2011. The magic of heterosis: New tools and complexities. Nature and Science. 9(11).
Sanghera, G. S., Wani, S. H., Hussain, W., and Singh, N. . 2011. Engineering cold stress tolerance in crop plants. Curr. Genomics,12, 30–43.
- Rana,M., Sood, A., Hussain, W., Kaldate, R., Sharma, T.R., Gill, R.K., Kumar, S., Singh, S. (2019). In: Mohar Singh (eds), Gene Pyramiding and Multiple Character Breeding, Lentils: Potential Resources for Enhancing Genetic Gains, 2019, Pages 83-124. Link.
- Sanghera, G.S., Wani, S.H., Hussain, W., and Singh, N.B. (2015). Genetic Engineering for Cold Stress Tolerance in Crop Plants. In book: Advances in Genome Science, Edition: Volume 4, Publisher: Bentham Science, Editors: Atta-ur-Rahman, pp. 173-201. Link
- Chaudhary, H.K., Kaila, V., Rather, S.A., Badiyal, A., Hussain, W., Jamwal, N.S., and Mahato, A. (2013). In: Pratap and J. Kumar (eds.), Alien Gene Transfer in Crop Plants, Volume Achievements and Impacts. Springer, pp 1-26. Link
- Hussain, W., Sanghera, G.S., Jamawal, N.S, and Badiyal,A. (2013). Crop improvement through genomic interventions in sustainable way. In: Malik CP, Sanghera GS and Sharma P(ed) Crop improvement: An integrated approach. MD Publications Pvt Ltd, New Delhi. pp 61-68. ISBN 978-81-7533-456-4. Link
- Dar, S.H., Hussain, W., and Sanghera, G.S. (2013). Advances in hybrid rice technology through applications of novel technologies. In: Malik CP, Sanghera GS and Sharma P(ed), Crop improvement: An integrated approach. MD Publications Pvt Ltd, New Delhi. pp 1-12. Link
Conference Talk at ASA, CSSA Meeting (2018), Baltimore, Maryland
Invited Talk at University of Nebraska Department of Statistics, Lincoln, Nebraska
Invited Talk at Plant Breeding and Genetics Symposium, Manhattan, Kansas
Invited Talk at Maharashtra Hybrid Seed Company (MAHYCO) India, Dawalwadi, Jalna, Maharashtra, India
Invited symposium Talk at Nebraska Plant Breeding Symposium 2017, Lincoln, Nebraska
Ph.D seminar talk at University of CSKHPKV, Palampur India Deptt. of Crop Improvement, Palampur, India
M.Sc Seminar Talk at University SKUAST-K, Deptt. of Plant Breeding & Genetics, Srinagar, J and K, India
Fellowships and Awards
- Open Science Grid User School Travel Grant Award 2018. Link.
- Travel Grant Award Kansas State Plant Breeding Symposium-2017. Link
- USDA ICQG Award-2016. Link.
- Best Oral Presentation Award, UNL Plant breeding Symposium-2016. Link
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)-International Fellowship(2014-2017). Link
- Inspire Fellowship (Ministry of Science & Technology, Department of Science & Technology, India (2012-2104). Link
- University Merit Certificate (M.Sc. Plant breeding & Genetics) (2011). Link
- Qualified ASRB National Eligibility Test 2012, 2013 and 2014 for Assistant Professorship. Link
- Software Carpentry Workshop on computational skills, including task automation, version control, and modular programming. Learn Bash, Git and Python. Holland Computing Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln. August 13 & 14, 2018. Link
- Open Science Grid (OSG) User School 2018: Workshop on High Throughput Computing and Running Large Scale Computing Applications at University of Wisconsin Madison. July 9-13. Link
- Work shop Series on Unix Shell, Git and use of HCC’s High-Performance Computing, High Throughput Computing and Cloud computing resources. Holland Computing Center, University of Nebraska Lincoln. June 05-26, 2018. Link
- Short term bioinformatics training (RNA-seq and DNA-seq). ArrayGen Technologies, India, Pune . 23 Oct-21 Nov. 2017. Link
- Understanding genome-wide association studies and other big data biological applications. University of Nebraska, Lincoln. June 23-24, 2014.
- Fundamental writing skills workshop researchers. University of Nebraska, Lincoln. Sept 2015.
- Write Wining Grant Proposals, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, March 18, 2016.
Open Source Contributions
- A representative of Department of Agronomy and Horticulture Safety Committee in the year 2015.
- Member of organizing a committee of UNL plant breeding symposium-2016.
- Hosted 2015- World Food Prize Nebraska Youth Institute in Department of Agronomy and Horticulture.
- Poster Judge (Undergraduate and Graduate) at University of Nebraska, Lincoln Spring Research Fair-2018.
- Poster Judge (Undergraduate) at ASA, CSSA Annual meetings in Baltimore, Maryland-2018.
- ASA, CSSA,and SSSA since June-2014
- National Association of Plant Breeders since Feb. 2018
- American Society of Plant Biologists since April 2018
- Associate Editor: Agronomy Journal (March 2018 to present)
- Peer Reviewer: Agronomy Journal (American Society of Agronomy); PNAS, Biological Sciences, India; Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants; Agronomy (MPDI).
- Lata, S., Guleria, S.K., Thakur, K., Kumari, R., Rana, M., and Hussain, W: Introgression of Opaque2 Gene Through Marker-Assisted Backcross Breeding in Elite Maize Inbred Lines. 13th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environmental Security, Ludhiana, India October 8-10,2018. P140. Link
- Venegas, J.P., Graybosch, R., Hussain, W., Bai, G., St Amand, P., Baenziger, P.S., Blecha, S: High-Density Linkage Map Construction and Mapping of Mutant Low Phytate QTLs in Winter Wheat (Triticum Aestivum L.) Using Genotyping-By-Sequencing (GBS). ASA, CSSA and SSSA Tampa, Florida, Oct. 22-25, 2017. Link
- Rana, M., Verma, P., Hussain,W., Kaldate, R., Shikha, D., Kaachra, A., Chahota, R.K., Bhatia,S., and Sharma, T.R: Molecular Mapping of QTLs for Drought Tolerance and Yield Traits in Lentil. InterDrought-V, Hyderabad International Convention Center (HICC), At Hyderabad India, 21-25 Feb. 2017. Link
- Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., El-Basyoni, I., Hussain, W., Poland, J., Jarquín, D., Lorenz, A.J., Baenziger, P.B: Translating Genomic Research into Cultivar Development in the Nebraska Wheat Program. Plant and Animal Genome Conference XXIV, San Diego, CA; 01/2017. Link
- Sallam, A., Hussain, W., Belmaker, V., and Baenziger, P.S: QTL Mapping for Traits Associated with Drought Tolerance and Combined Drought and Heat Tolerance in Seedling Winter Wheat. Plant and Animal Genome Conference, San Diego, CA; 01/2017. Link.
- Hussain, W.,Stephen, P.B., Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., Easterly, A., Venegas, J.P., Guedira, G.B., Poland, J: Development of High Density Linkage Map and Genome-Wide QTL Mapping for Grain Yield in Wheat Across Multiple Rainfed Environments. ASA, CSSA and SSSA Minneapolis, Nov. 6-9, 2106. Link
- Sallam, A., Hussain, W., Belmaker, V., and Baenziger, P.S: Molecular Genetic Dissection to Improve Seedling Drought Tolerance inn Winter Wheat Using QTL Mapping. At: Nebraska City, USA, Conference: Plant Science Retreat-october 2016. Link
- Kariyawasam, G., Hussain, W., Easterly, A., Guttieri, M.J., Belamkar, V., Venegas, J.P., Baenziger, P.B., Poland, J., Faris, J., Xu, S., Rasmussen, J., and Liu, Z: QTL Mapping of Resistance to Tan Spot in a Winter Recombinant Inbred Line Population Derived from Cross between Harry and Wesley. Conference: American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting-2016, At Tampa, Florida. Link
- Hussain, W., Baenziger, P.B., Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., Easterly, A., Venegas, J.P., Guedira, G.B., Poland, J: SNP Discovery in Wheat RIL Population Using Genotyping-by-Sequencing and Genome-Wide QTL Mapping for Plant Height. Conference: 5th International Conference on Quantitative Genetics, At Madison, Wisconsin, USA. Link
- Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., El-Basyoni, I., Hussain, W., Poland, J., Jarquín, D., Lorenz, A.J., Baenziger, P.B: Genomic Selection Shows Promise for Improving Winter Wheat: Insights from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Wheat Breeding Program. Conference: 5th International Conference on Quantitative Genetics, At Madison, Wisconsin, USA. Link
- Belamkar, V., Guttieri, M.J., El-Basyoni, I., Hussain, W., Poland, J., Jarquín, D., Lorenz, A.J., Baenziger, P.B: Integration of Genomic Selection in the Nebraska Wheat Breeding Program. Plant and Animal Genome Conference XXIV,, San Diego, CA; 01/2016. Link
- Hussain, W., Stephen, P.B, Guttieri, M.J., Easterly, A., Venegas, J.P., Guedira, G.B., Poland, J: Mapping QTLs for Plant Height Variation in RIL Population Derived from Cross Between Harry X Wesley Semi-Dwarf Wheat Lines. ASA, CSSA and SSSA Minneapolis, Nov. 15-18, 2105. Link
- Quantitative Skills
- Genotyping-by-sequencing data analysis and SNP calling
- Quantitative Genetics
- QTL Mapping: R/qtl, R/ASMap, IciMapping etc.
- Genome-wide Association Mapping: Plink, TASSEL, BGLR, rrBLUP, GAPIT, FarmCPU etc.
- Genomic Selections: BGLR, rrBLUP etc.
- Wet Lab Skills
- DNA extractions, PCR, real-time PCR, electrophoresis, SSR marker and KASP marker genotyping
- Computational Skills
- Operating Systems: LINUX, OS X, Windows
- Big data analysis, high-throughput and cloud computing, linux shell and git
- LATEX and R Markdown
Teaching Experience 1
- This lecture was one of the lecture in course ASCI 944/STAT 844 Quantitative Methods for Genomics of Complex Traits taught by Dr. Gota Morota. In this lecture I talk about basic concepts in GWAS, how to correct for population stratification, and statistical models to run GWAS and also showed practical demonstration how to perform GWAS in R-software.
Teaching Experience 2
- This lecture was delivered in R-club hosted by students in the Agronomy and Horticulture department, University of Nebraska, Lincoln. In this lecture I discussed about data visualizations in ggplot, interactive visualizations using plotly, multiple plots in same panel, correlations and correlation heat maps.